Preparing this curry sauce with coconut is really simple, you just need some few ingredients like pumpkin, cashews and lentils, but check out this coconut curry sauce recipe and decide what would you like to add or remove.
Preparing this recipe you can enjoy dishes from different parts of the world, in this case India mainly, it’s good to try and prepare food from other regions of the world to vary the food and don’t eat the same, actually it’s not difficult to do and it can be done in only 30 minutes.
There are different types of curry using the coconut as the main ingredient, this is a really good one, coconut curry is very healthy for you.
Easy and fast coconut curry sauce
If you have been disappointed with curry powder, this coconut curry recipe is excellent for you, it’s done with ingredients 100% natural and the flavor won’t disappoint you.
One of the best things is that despite the fact that it is a dish from other region of the world and needs different type of ingredients that are not common for us, you can find the spices in the market without problem.
The flavor of the coconut and the spices you will taste will be delicious and you are going to love it.
Definitely you will receive a lot of compliments of your family and friend when you share this curry sauce recipe with coconut with them, and we know that the complements are very welcome.
Spices you’ll need for this curry sauce recipe
We need some few spices for this coconut curry sauce, and they are really important, like the coconut.
- Curry powder
- Garam masala
We use the curry powder as the base for this recipe, but we need the rest of the spices anyway, definitely we’ll need all of them, if we don’t put all the spices this coconut curry won’t taste the same.
It’s a mix of different type of spices, is important for the preparation of this recipe, we can find it in the supermarkets, maybe it won’t be easy in some countries but we are sure you can find it and the price is similar to other spices.
How to make coconut curry sauce
It’s not complicated, you have to follow some simple steps:
- We need onion, ginger and garlic, is better if they are fresh.
- Put all the spices together and we have to start cooking, this way we obtain the full flavor of the spices.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato passata or tomato sauce and chicken or vegetable broth.
- Simmer to combine all the flavors.
This is all you need for curry sauce, is easy to do it as you can see.
We can add some other ingredients and create different flavor, here we show you some ingredients you can use:
- Potato, sweet potato, beans, cauliflower, broccoli or carrots.
- Lentils, pumpkin and cashews.
- Chicken or fish, you can prepare them before adding them, like searing them.
We can prepare all these in just 30 minutes, you’ll get an indian style curry flavor.
|Prep time: 12 minutes||Cook time: 18 minutes||Servings: 5 or 6|
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 400g/14oz can coconut milk (full fat preferably)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger , have to be finely grated
- 1 cup/ 250 ml chicken broth
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml tomato passata (tomato puree) (Note 1)
- 400g/14 oz can brown lentils , drained
- 80g / 2 cups (packed) baby spinach
- 250g / 8 oz pumpkin (3 cups) cut into 2 cm
- 1/2 cup cashews , unsalted (roasted)
- 1/2 tsp each salt + pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp curry powder (mild or spicy, you decide)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp paprika (sweet or hot)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat, add onion, ginger and garlic and cook for two minutes or until the onion gets gold.
- Add all the spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Add passata, coconut milk and soup, mix until incorporated.
- Add the lentils and pumpkin, simmer a while and then adjust heat to simmer energetically.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce gets thick.
- Stir spinach until wilted.
- Finally add salt and pepper, you have to tase it to know how much you will need.