The coconut rice recipe is a Thai style of rice, the preparation of this kind of rice a little bit different than the normal rice preparation. To cook this dish we need coconut milk, for this reason it’s called coconut rice milk too. Commonly, you would boil the water before adding the rice, but in this coconut rice recipe, you bring the milk, water and rice together in a boil. This kind of rice is more flavorful and we can eat it with everything, if you are a lover of the rice.
Here we will show you how to make coconut rice, all the ingredients you need and how is the preparation, if you are not excited yet, when you start smelling this recipe you will want to taste it, and if you eat rice constantly, you can switch between cummon rice and coconut rice.
This rice can combine perfectly with Thai curry and different Thai dishes, but you don’t have to be limited to combine only with Thai dishes, you can actually combine with any Asian dish or any type of dish, it can combine perfectly with indian butter chicken, any meat, vegetable dish, etc.
Unlike to other coconut rice recipes, this one is not sticky. When the coconut rice is sticky, generally it means that contains a little bit of sugar, they must be made with certain short-grain and sticky rice varieties that can be high in starch.
The best thing is that will be ready in just 30 minutes or less and you require few ingredients, some of them you can find easily in your house.
Coconut rice ingredients
- 2 cups Thai Jasmine Rice: The best typeof rice you can use is the long-grain rice, actually, you can use any other long-grain white rice, but we recommend Thai rice.
- Virgin coconut oil: Stirring the rice with a coconut oil before cooking can separate the grains in the process of cooking, additionally, add a delicious flavor.
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk: In this coconut milk rice recipe, you’ll need full fat coconut milk, be sure to mix well the coconut milk fully before measuring, sometimes it is separated in the can.
- 1 and half cup of Water: You will use equal parts full-fat coconut milk and water to cook this rice, this produces fragrant and well-textured coconut rice.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
How to cook coconut rice
This recipe is easy to make and only takes between 25-30 minutes to prepare. You will need a heavy-bottomed stainless steel.
- Before you start cooking the rice, be sure to rinse them in a fine-meshed sieve. After that continue rinsing the rice under cold water until the water turns clear. This process removes the starches, which can result in mushier, this can interfere in que quality of the coconut rice. Is ideal to allow the rice to dry as much as possible before you combine it with the coconut oil.
- When you combine all the ingredients, fit the pot with a tight-fitted lid and put the mixture to a boil over high heat. You have to be watching the pot and don’t let it without attend, as this will happen quickly and you need to be watching if it starts boiling, mix well, cover it and immediately reduce the fire to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- The rice will cook over heat for 10 minutes. At this time, all the liquid in the pot should be absorbed, after we do this, we have to allow to sit, covered tightly, off the fire for 15 minute more, this let the rice to continue cooking and steaming, producing a well cooked rice and an excellent texture.
- Mix gently with a fork and serve to your family, friend and you!