Anybody can make a delicious lychee ice cream, it’s really simple and we don’t need a lot of ingredients and the best part is that we don’t need an ice cream maker, perfect for summer and to stay cool on those hot days.
The main ingredient is the delicious tropical fruit called lychee, an exotic fruit that remind us the tropical weather, it’s a typical chinese fruit, since it’s the largest producer of lychee in the world.
We got inspired to make this homemade lychee ice cream recipe because of the summer, to enjoy a natural ice cream with an intense flavor and sweet aroma, it’s an lychee dessert that we can enjoy with the kids, family and friends.
How do we do this lychee ice cream?
We do it as simple as possible, it actually doesn’t need ice cream maker but we can use one if we have it, we need just a food processor or blender to break up the ice crystals.
The best we can use is fresh lychees, they are seasonal so finding them fresh cannot be easy, but we can use the canned lychee too, the bad thing is that it won’t be as aromatic as the fresh lychee, but it’s ok.
The lychee has to be peeled, deseeded and pulverized but it’s not bad having a little bit of pulp in the ice cream mix, it can add some texture. We can find different ways to make lychee ice cream, but I think this is a good and easy one, the egg custard method gives to the ice cream of lychee a great texture and flavor.
We add some condensed milk, this goes perfectly with the flavor of lychee in the ice cream, intensifying it a lot more, this makes this lychee dessert one of the best recipes using these tropical fruits.
Ok, so it’s time to start preparing this delicious and exotic lychee dessert recipe and enjoy it in the summer or whenever you want.
|Prep time: 10 min||Cook time: 15 min||Quantity: 1.5 liter|
- 2 cups (14 oz) lychee peeled and deseeded, fresh or canned one 380g
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar or stevia
- pinch salt
- After the lychee is peeled and deseeded, we put the pulp in a blender or food processor, mix the cream and lychee together until we get a puree.
- In a small pot add milk and condensed milk and heat over low until steaming.
- In a different bowl, mix egg yolks, salt and sugar.
- Pour the heated mixture into egg mixture, we have to do it 1 tsp by 1 tsp and stirring constantly.
- Now, pour this mixture to a pot and heat over low to medium heat, meanwhile we have to be stirring constantly until we get a thickness texture.
- Finally remove from heat and stir the lychee cream mixture and let it cool.
We have to place it in the freezer, after an hour we can check custard, it should have started to freezing in the edges. Use a wood spoon and mix the custard very well, we have to break the crystals that are formed as much as possible, then cover and refreeze it for one hour, repeat the step again until the lychee ice cream reach the consistency of a soft ice cream. Finally, scoop into an ice cream storage and freeze it all the night.
Hope you can prepare this homemade lychee ice cream recipe and enjoy it with your family and friends, the kids will love this lychee dessert for sure. Personally I never have found a lychee ice cream, I love this fruit and I wanted to try it as an ice cream and I loved it!