We can use this tropical fruit for multiple preparations and recipes, one example is the passion fruit cake. We don’t need too much things to prepare this delicious cake, you will enjoy this recipe as much as we enjoyed it, it’s easy and very tasty.
I think the passionfruit is one of the most exotic fruits we can find, is very representative of South America and many people use them to prepare drinks, cocktails and desserts, if I would have to choose a tropical fruit to prepare a cake, I would definitely choose this one, is very versatile and you can prepare different types of passion fruit cakes.
The aroma of the passion fruit can remember us the beach and the tropics, and the taste make me feel like it’s summer always, like in the South American countries, and the refreshing we don’t have even to mention. Thanks to this fruit we got a lot of passion fruit recipes and this cake is a star.
Make passion fruit cake anytime of the year
The good thing is that we don’t have to be in the season of passion fruits, we can find frozen passionfruit puree, the best thing is that this has no seeds, you can find it anytime of the year and this will let you prepare the passionfruit cake easily.
We can find this puree in hispanic stores or supermarket, you can freeze them until you are ready to make the passion fruit cake and the flavor will be great anyway.
Preparing this passion fruit dessert in holidays is a good idea, we can feel that tropical sensation meanwhile we are in winter, the rest of the people will eat the same food but you will eat a delicious cake made of passion fruit or maracuyá, the name used in South America.
Now it’s time to know how we prepare this delicious, spongy and sweet cake with passion fruit as main ingredient, it’s easy and you’ll love it.
|Prep time: 20 min||Cooking: 1 hr 5 m||Serving: 8 people|
- 250 ml passionfruit pulp (about 12 passionfruit)
- 4 separated eggs
- 330 g(1½ cups) caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter softened
- 300 g(2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
For this preparation we’ll need 20 cm round ring cake pan.
- The first thing is preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20 cm round the ring cake pan we said before. Mix egg yolks, sugar and butter for 6 minutes in a electric mixer, or until you get a fluffy mixture. Transfer the mixture you get to a large bowl.
- Put in a large bowl the baking powder and flour, yolk mixture and the passionfruit pulp.
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of the electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks, gently fold egg whites through passionfruit mixture in 2 batches.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 55 minutes or until the skewer inserted come out clean, let the cake to cool in the pan.
Let’s prepare the passion fruit syrup
- 60 ml passionfruit pulp that’s 3 passion fruits
- 220 g (1 cup) caster sugar
Meanwhile we are going to prepare the passion fruit syrup, put the passion fruit pulp, sugar and 125 ml of water in a skillet over how heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and let it boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick. Set aside and let it cool.
Take out the passion fruit cake and drizzle it with the passion fruit syrup.